Welcome to the New South Wales Rod Fishers’ Society website. The NSWRFS was founded in 1904 by Howard Joseland who was an architect, writer and poet. Joseland would later become known as the father of trout fishing in New South Wales.
We have close to 200 members who enjoy fly-fishing in its many dimensions. Members regularly get together on fishing trips and associated social occasions including lunches and evening events to indulge their passion for fly-fishing.
The club always welcomes new members whether you are a beginner at fly-fishing or a veteran and provides opportunities to assist growth and development within the sport. NSWRFS offers an environment in which friendships can be made and the fly anglers experience of the sport can be diversified though locations, varied techniques and gear and different approaches to fly-fishing. Much can also be learned over a drink and a bite to eat at the end of the day.
Feel free to browse the website to examine what the club has to offer. Download a membership form or come along to an function where you will be most welcome. Enquiries about membership and events can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of membership of the club include:
- Organised trips to freshwater and saltwater locations within Australia and overseas.
- Fishing on stocked farm dams in the Oberon district by arrangement with landowners and an annual trout stocking program.
- Monthly lunches and occasional evening functions throughout the year with well know speakers from the fly-fishing community.
- Fly-casting instruction for members at Macquarie University Lake by arrangement with the University for Saturday and Sunday use. The club has two IFFF certified fly-casting instructors amongst its membership.
- Annual casting clinics with Peter Morse MCI.
- Annual fly-tying night and auction night with expert fly-tiers both invited and from the club membership, and an auction of fly-fishing gear.
- An extensive lending library of fly-fishing books including rare and collectible titles.
- The quarterly Tight Lines and annual Journal publications.
The club operates two Facebook pages including a public page intended to promote Rod Fishers to the broader fly-fishing community and a closed group that contains information for members only.
The Flowing Stream is the club’s hard-cover publication marking the formation of Rod Fishers in 1904. It celebrates the dedication of our founders, our efforts and achievements and the mateship of fly-fishing, glimpsed through the pages of our journals over the past 100 years. It is published in a limited edition of 1,000 individually-certified copies. The book includes a history of the Society and 75 fascinating extracts as well as numerous photographs and illustrations from our journals and archives. Click here for more information and an order form.